Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Chasing death

An aerial over Greenwood Lake looking southwest. (By Jai Agnish) 
I wrote about a 20-year-old that died in an early morning car crash Monday and chased it down some more on Tuesday.

It happened in my hometown. On East Shore Road, a road I've driven countless times. I was just living in Greenwood Lake, N.Y. this past winter and made the drive on that long, windy road over and over again from the office in Butler, N.J.

I've seen it in the daytime and in the nighttime. Those trees. That lake. I wonder what Paul saw in the moments before his tragic death Saturday.

Today I pursued some leads, or rather rumors, and filed a records request. The police station, the phone, the house numbers. Someone has to go and knock on Paul's mom's door. That was me today.

I'm still not sure what I would've asked her, or first said. It's a dreadful assignment, but it's outweighed when you consider your place in this reality. I didn't just lose a son.

So, you hope she's not home. And if she is, you hope you say the right thing. Ask the right questions. That your humanity takes over. You expect that. Being a reporter that is also aware of being a human. The balance of life, I suppose.

I left my card in the screen door. And then I went home, and wrote about a new Taco Bell coming to Wanaque.

No comments:

Post a Comment